« Home | How to be Zeus » | 1.The butcher block has been wiped clean.You stand... » | My mother was born 53 years ago today.On the phone... » | Where the upper arm meets the forearmjust beow the... » | wrapped in sweats wrapped in corduroy shortswrappe... » | Tiredness settles onto your head like a flock of b... » | "Wake UP""Wake UP" they say.COme now from the dim ... » | absence » | It's like this: You're half awake at 2am listening... » | like this »

I pour the rest of the vodka from the freezer into a small
glass, not unlike a tumbler but tinier.
I cut the dry dead part from the half a lemon on the butcher block,
and squeeze the good part into the vodka. I do not use ice.
I turn on the radio to NPR, to science friday on npr with that host
who sucks, his voice grating and attitude so condescending
i break two eggs into a heated iron skillet
they sizzle, i add ground beef, onions, baby spinach.
voices of very drunk men come in through the thin glass of my kitchen
window
they must've been drinking since sun up to be this drunk now.
My eggs are done. My vodka's gone.
this is the beginning of a very bad day.