« Home | 1.The butcher block has been wiped clean.You stand... » | My mother was born 53 years ago today.On the phone... » | Where the upper arm meets the forearmjust beow the... » | wrapped in sweats wrapped in corduroy shortswrappe... » | Tiredness settles onto your head like a flock of b... » | "Wake UP""Wake UP" they say.COme now from the dim ... » | absence » | It's like this: You're half awake at 2am listening... » | like this » | The glands in his throat are swollen sothat when h... »

How to be Zeus

I am stoned.
Again.
On the floor, well really on the couch
but mostly on the floor, sliding off
for about an hour
with a glass of whiskey perched
significantly on my chest
or insignificantly held in my hand.
She "wa wa wa"s about something
I lost track of it a while ago
just before the tarot reading
when the lights flickered, we thought
we were dead for a minute or there were ghosts
or both, but it was wires.
I spilled stew on my lap earlier,
my white pants are
dreadfully brown and damp
on the right thigh
though i tried to wash it out
with dish soap and cold water.
I lose another inch to the floor.
Kenneth Anger films flick across the tv
folks in robes, stonehenge, a gay gay biker
a man cleaning a car, sensually.
I remember that dream I had about you
We were in a large white room with carpet on the walls and ceiling and a chandelier. Everyone was dressed for a fancy dress party but they all looked like they had just had sex, disheveled hair, clothes misbuttoned, skirts twisted, glasses askew. Everyone was familiar but mean. We ate broccoli dipped in a sour cream bacon dip that had been spooned into a large hollowed out brown bread roll. I had a small white paper plate with three shrimps and some sauce on it. You tried to have sex with me but I didn't want to because we were in a room full of people. But you didn't understand, you couldn't hear me when I told you, so you kept pulling at my clothes.
It's too hot in here so I'm pulling at my clothes.
She says Hey, are you ok?
I say Never, hahahaha, get it? Never....?
She takes the whiskey from my chest
It's gonna tip she says
Have as much as you want I say landing fully on the floor
on the rabbit fur blanket, that isn't itchy at all
Across the room he cuts newspaper into strips.
For a hat and a beard he says.
So I can be Zeus he says.
I'm sober, the room's brighter.
the angles not small but tight.
I want to be Zeus. I'll take that beard from you I say.
He scowls and then smiles then throws the tarot deck at me
it flutters, a few cards settle in my open hand.
This is my future? I ask.
I'm Zeus he says, laughing
I have a card stuck in my hair.
You're high, she says, to him, not to me.
He keeps cutting
On the tv boys wearing halloween masks have a party.
Some one's pants come off.
My phone buzzes in my pocket. I extract it.
It's a text message. From you. It says
I want to kiss you right now
I remove the battery and toss the phone on the rabbit fur blanket
She pats my head, and pulls it over into her lap.
Let's make tea she says.
Zeus I say it under my breath three times, remove the card from my hair
get up and leave the room

I'll get the kettle
I'll throw lightening
I'll boil the water
I'll get you pregenant as a golden shower
I'll make the tea
I'll turn into a bull
I'll bring it to you
I'll rule the heavens